- Division of Environmental Services
- Office of Water Quality & Estuarine Ecology
- Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
- Aquatic Ecology Section
- Environmental Monitoring Program
- Environmental Monitoring Program (Field)
- Special Studies Research Section
- Interagency Ecological Program
Contact UsKaren Gehrts, Chief
Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
3500 Industrial Blvd
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Phone: (916) 375-4825
Senior Environmental Scientist
Ph.D., Animal Behavior, University of California, Davis (2008)
Bachelor of Science, Environmental Biology and Management, University of California, Davis (1999)
Distribution, abundance, and impacts of introduced predators in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta; food web ecology of shallow-water and littoral habitat in the Delta; restoration of estuarine habitat for native species; applications of captive propagation programs for fisheries restoration
- Frantzich, J., Ikemiyagi, N., and Conrad, J.L., 2013, 2010-2011 Yolo Bypass Fisheries Monitoring Status and Trends Report, IEP Newsletter 2013, Volume 26, Number 1
- Conrad, J.L., E.A. Gilbert-Horvath, and J.C. Garza. 2013. Genetic and phenotypic effects on reproductive outcomes for captively-reared coho salmon, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 404-405: 95-104.
- Ferrari, M.C.O, L. Ranåker, K.L. Weinersmith, M.J. Young, A. Sih, and J.L. Conrad. 2013. Effects of turbidity and an invasive waterweed on predation by introduced largemouth bass. Environmental Biology of Fishes. Published online March 2013
- Conrad, J.L., K.L. Weinersmith, T. Brodin, J.B. Saltz, and A. Sih. 2011. Behavioral syndromes in fishes: a review with implications for ecology and fisheries management. Journal of Fish Biology 78:395-435.
- Conrad, J.L. and A. Sih. 2009. Behavioral type in newly emerged steelhead fry (Oncorhynchus mykiss) does not predict fitness in a conventional hatchery rearing environment (PDF, 350 KB) . Journal of Fish Biology 75: 1410-1426.
- Sommer, T., J. L. Conrad, G. O′Leary, F. Feyrer, and W.C. Harrell. 2002. Spawning and rearing of splittail in a model floodplain wetland (PDF, 105 KB). Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:966-974.
- Frantzich, J., Royer, S., Choy, P., Ikemiyagi, N., and Conrad, L. 2013. Going Native: Evidence that high flows expand the spacial distribution of native fish in the Yolo Bypass (Poster).
- Conrad, J.L., K.L. Weinersmith, M.J. Young, D. de Carion, E. Hestir, M. Santos, P. Crain, S. Ustin, P.B. Moyle, and A. Sih. 2010. More big bass: Understanding the role of largemouth bass as top predators in the littoral zone (PDF, 1 KB). Delta Science Council Conference, Sacramento, CA. September 2010.
- Vella, M., C. Nelson, and J.L. Conrad. 2010. Patterns in largemouth bass diet composition in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (PDF, 1.20 MB). DWR Environmental Scientist Workshop, Sacramento, CA. September 2010.
- Gilbert-Horvath, E.A., J. L. Conrad, and J.C. Garza. Genetic broodstock management in the Russian River: effects on reproductive outcome in endangered coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in California. Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Evolution, Portland, OR, June 2010.
- Conrad, J.L., K. L. Weinersmith, M. J. Young, D. de Carion, P. Crain, E. L. Hestir, M. J. Santos, S. L. Ustin, P. B. Moyle, and A. Sih 2010. Rising abundance of largemouth bass in the littoral zone of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta: the role of Egeria densa (PDF, 1.40 MB). Interagency Ecological Program 2010 Workshop, California State University, Sacramento, May, 2010.
- Conrad, J.L., K.L. Smith, E. Hestir, M. Santos, A. Sih, and S. Ustin. Largemouth bass abundance and diet in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta: investigating temporal and spatial variation with respect to submerged aquatic vegetation. State of the Estuary Conference, Oakland, CA, September 2009.
- Conrad, J.L., E. A. Gilbert-Horvath and J. C. Garza. Conservation of genetic resources for the Russian River Coho Salmon Captive Broodstock Program. Hatchery Reform Symposium, Western Division American Fisheries Society Meeting, Portland, OR, May, 2008.
- Conrad, J.L. Examining the presence and persistence of behavioral syndromes in hatchery-origin steelhead. American Fisheries Society National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, September 2007.
- Conrad, J.L., M. Obedzinski, B. White, R. Taylor, and B. Wilson. Preventing extinction of the coho salmon in the Russian River, California: the early years of a captive broodstock program. Culture of Species in Crisis Symposium, American Fisheries Society National Meeting, Lake Placid, NY. September, 2006.
- Conrad, J.L. and E. Sturm. 2008. Effects of salmon gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) analog therapy on final maturation and gamete quality of endangered coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Report to United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine; INAD #011371.
- Conrad, J.L., M. Obedzinski, D. Lewis, and P. Olin. 2005. Russian River and Coho Salmon Captive Broodstock Program: broodstock management and monitoring activities. Annual report to NOAA Fisheries Southwest Region for ESA Section 10 permit for broodstock program activities.