Division of Safety of Dams
Department of Water Resources
2200 X Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95818
P.O. Box 942836
Sacramento, CA 94236-0001
Telephone #: (916) 227-4644
E-Mail General Information:
Please click the questions below to find the answers.
- Who in the Division should correspondence be addressed to?
- Why are annual fees needed and what do they fund?
- How does the Division ensure the safety of dams in California?
- What does the Division do if a dam appears unsafe?
- Will an application be required for my planned alteration or repair work?
- When should the construction fee be submitted?
- Does your agency oversee water rights or issues pertaining to water diversions?
- I just purchased a property having a jurisdictional-size dam – do I need to initiate any action?
- How can I arrange to review your files for this dam?
- Can you recommend an engineering consultant for me?
- How can I determine whether my property would be flooded or inundated from a failure of this dam?
- Can you tell me if the Division checks this particular dam, and if so, how often?
- What should I do if I observe suspicious activity on or around a dam?
- I am planning to build a small jurisdictional-size earth dam. What sort of geotechnical exploration is needed?
- What are the Division’s requirements for outlet operation?
- Does the Division have specific outlet dewatering requirements for large dams/reservoirs?
- How is dam height determined when evaluating jurisdictional status?