Department of Water Resources
3310 El Camino Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95821
P.O. Box 219000
Sacramento, CA 95821-9000
FloodSAFE Publications and Other Reference Reports
Central Valley Flood Protection Plan and Related Documents
Note: Many more reports and fact sheets are available on the CVFMP website.
- 2012 Central Valley Flood Protection Plan, June 2012 (PDF: 5.6 MB) High resolution (PDF: 69 MB)
- 2012 CVFPP Consolidated Final Program Environmental Impact Report (SCH No.: 2010102044), July 2012 (PDFs available on the CVFMP website for each chapter and appendix)
- Central Valley System Conservation Framework, Public Draft (PDF: 8.1 MB; January 2012)
- Flood Control System Status Report, December 2011 (PDF: 30 MB) (Smaller PDFs available on the CVFMP website)
- State Plan of Flood Control Descriptive Document, November 2010 (PDF: 18.4 MB) (PDFs available on the CVFMP website for each sction and attachment)
Statewide Flood Management Planning Program
- Document library for California's Flood Future: Recommendations for Managing the State's Flood Risk, April 2013
Local Flood Risk Planning and Guidance
- Addendum to Implementing California Flood Legislation into Local Land Use Planning: A Handbook for Local Communities (DWR 2014), which provides updated information to the 2010 Handbook.
- Guidance on General Plan Amendments for Addressing Flood Risk (DWR 2014), which provides updated guidance for Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley communities for their general plan amendment needs.
- Implementing California Flood Legislation into Local Land Use Planning: A Handbook for Local Communities (DWR 2010), which describes how the 2007 flood legislation affects cities and counties responsibilities relative to local land use planning and flood risk management.
Other FloodSAFE Reports
- 2014 Flood Management Activity Highlights: Managing Risk and Protecting the Environment (PDF: 4 MB)
- 2013 FloodSAFE California Annual Report (PDF: 6.5 MB)
- Draft Urban Level of Flood Protection Criteria (PDF: 3.9 MB)
- FloodSAFE Strategic Plan, Public Review Draft (PDF 1 MB; June 2008) Note: this plan was never finalized.
- Implementing California Flood Legislation into Local Land use Planning: A Handbook for Local Communities (PDF: 5.2 MB; October 2010)
- Urban Levee Design Criteria (PDF: 4.5 MB; May 2012)
- Website for Inspection and Local Maintaining Agency Annual Report of the Central Valley State-Federal Flood Protection System (Annual reports available as PDFs)
Fact Sheets and Brochures
- Basin-Wide Feasibility Studies (PDF: 800 KB; March 2013)
- Central Valley Flood Protection Plan Organization (PDF: 1 MB; January 2012)
- Flood Control System Status Report (PDF: 1.7 MB; January 2012)
- Flood Risk Notification Program (PDF: 2.4 MB; September 2012)
- Implementing the FloodSAFE California Initiative. An Integrated, System-Wide Approach for Sustainable Flood Risk Management in California (PDF: 1 MB; January 2011)
- State Plan of Flood Control Descriptive Document (PDF: 1.5 MB; January 2012)
- Urban Levee Design Criteria (PDF: 320 KB; May 2012)
More Central Valley Flood Management Planning Program fact sheets are available on the CVFMP website
- 1997 Final Report of the Flood Emergency Action Team (PDF: 19 MB) (HTML version; missing images)
- 2007 California Flood Legislation: Summary, 2007 (PDF: 600 KB). DWR document.
- Flood Warnings: Responding to California's Flood Crisis, 2005 (PDF: 1.4 MB). DWR report.
- Independent Report: A California Challenge - Flooding in the Central Valley, 2007 (PDF: 1.95 MB)
If you have comments, suggestions or concerns about FloodSAFE California, please email us, or send a letter to the mailing address shown to the left.