Groundwater Elevation Monitoring
As a result of SBX7 6 (enacted in November 2009), the Department of Water Resources developed the California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring (CASGEM) Program. The CASGEM Program establishes a basis for collaboration between local monitoring parties (Monitoring Entities) and DWR to collect groundwater elevation information statewide and make that information available to the public. The statewide data are compiled in the CASGEM Online System and made available to the public via the Internet with a GIS interface. As a result, all interested parties can use the data to evaluate and monitor groundwater conditions in California.
To help local agencies comply with the provisions of Water Code Section 10920, DWR has developed the CASGEM Online System. The system enables local agencies to create, edit, and submit notifications to become a Monitoring Entity for specific basins or subbasins.
The CASGEM system provides Monitoring Entities the following notification and data submittal:
- Create, edit, and submit notifications to become a Monitoring Entity
- Create and manage user accounts
- Create and manage agency information
- Submit CASGEM monitoring plans and groundwater management plans
- Submit construction and location information associated with CASGEM wells
- Submit groundwater elevation data (including batch uploads)
The CASGEM system also provides the following access to Monitoring Entities:
- View lists of local agencies, counties and associations who have volunteered to serve as CASGEM Monitoring Entities providing groundwater data statewide
- View CASGEM Monitoring Plans and Groundwater Management Plans (via hyperlink)
- Search and view groundwater elevation data in tabular format
- View hydrographs for single wells and compare hydrographs for multiple wells
- Search and view groundwater monitoring well information
- View mapped locations of CASGEM wells, monitoring area boundaries, and other geographic information
- Measure distances between wells and size of monitoring areas and basins
- Download well information, groundwater data, hydrographs and maps
- Download summary reports on wells, groundwater elevations, Monitoring Entities and basin information.
GIS Minimum Computer Requirements
The CASGEM web application has been designed to work most efficiently on computers that have the following minimum specifications:
Processor: Dual Core - 1.67 GHz CPU
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Operating System: Windows XP
Browser: Internet Explorer 8 with Adobe Flash Player (v10.1 or higher)
If your system does not meet these specifications, the application might not perform optimally.Note: Make sure that all the pop-up blockers are turned-off, including those that are part of Google, Yahoo, MSN or similar toolbars.
The CASGEM Online System Monitoring Entity User Guide is intended to provide brief answers to questions you may have on how to navigate through the Monitoring Entity Portal of the Online System. The Monitoring Entity User Guide covers several topics that include logging on, registering as an agency and a user, setting an account password, explanation of terms, navigating the system functions, and other available information. Use the link below to access the Monitoring Entity User Guide.
Monitoring Entity User Guide (Version 2.1) PDF: 15.9MB