The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) established a process for local agencies to request that the Department of Water Resources (DWR) revise the boundaries of existing groundwater basins or subbasins, including the establishment of a new subbasin. The Basin Boundary Emergency Regulation was developed through an extensive stakeholder outreach process and was adopted on October 21, 2015. The provisions of the emergency regulation go into effect on November 16, 2015.
If you are an eligible local agency and are thinking of requesting modification to the boundaries of your basin, follow these steps:
DWR has developed a Basin Boundary Modification Request System for use by local agencies to submit initial notification and basin boundary modification requests. The system also provides public access to view basin boundary modification information.
Important Note - One of the first steps in the basin boundary modification process is initial notification of a potential basin boundary modification. This process is described in Section 343.9 of the regulation and on the Basin Boundary Modification Request System.
The following is the anticipated schedule and next steps for basin boundary modifications:
|Basin Boundary Regulation Effective||November 16, 2015|
|Basin Boundary Modification Reporting System Available For Submission of Initial Notification (Pursuant to Section 343.9) of Potential Basin Boundary Modifications||November 16, 2015|
|Basin Boundary Modification Instructional Webinar (Presentation available below)||December 17, 2015|
|Basin Boundary Modification Request Submission Period Opens||January 1, 2016|
|Last Date to Submit Basin Boundary Modification Requests Within the Initial Submission Period||March 31, 2016|
*All dates are subject to change.
- REGULATION - Adopted Basin Boundary Emergency Regulation
- FACTSHEET - Basin Boundary Emergency Regulation Factsheet
- TIMELINE – Basin Boundary Modification Timeline
- CHECKLIST - Basin Boundary Regulation Checklist
- FAQs - Basin Boundary Frequently Asked Questions
- ADMIN EDITS - Administrative Adjustments Process
- BBAT - Groundwater Basin Boundary Assessment Tool
- BBMRS - Basin Boundary Modification Request System
- Groundwater Basin Boundary Webinar Recording 12/17/15
- Presentation from Groundwater Basin Boundary Webinar 12/17/15
- Rulemaking Archive – Includes Regulatory Preparation Documentation
Click here to sign up to receive email updates on Basin Boundary Modification Requests and DWR SGMA activities.
For additional information regarding basin boundary modifications, please contact Tim Godwin at Timothy.Godwin@water.ca.gov or 916-651-9223.