- Ahrens, Thomas P. “Well Design Criteria. Part 2”. Water Well Journal.
- Ahrens, Thomas P. “Corrosion in Water Wells”. Water Well Journal.
March and April 1966.
- Ahrens, Thomas P. “Basic Considerations of Well Design”. Water Well
Journal. April, May, June and August 1970. (Four parts)
- American Association for Vocational Instructional Materials. “Planning
for an Individual Water System”. 1973.
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers. “Designing and Constructing
Water Wells for Irrigation”. Tentative Recommendation: ASAE R 283 (T).
- American Water Works Association. “Standard Specifications for Deep
Wells”. AWWA A-100-66. 1967.
- American Water Works Association. “Groundwater”. AWWA Manual No. M21.
- American Water Works Association. “Standard for Vertical Turbine Pumps –
Line Shaft and Submersible Types”. AWWA E-101-77. June 1977.
- American Water Works Association. “PVC Pipe – Design and Installation”.
AWWA Manual No. M23. 1980.
- Anderson, K. “Water Well Handbook”. Missouri Water Well Drillers
- Associated Drilling Contractors of the State of California.
“Recommended Standards for Preparation of Water Well Construction
Specifications”. September 17, 1960.
- Brantly, J. E. “Rotary Drilling Handbook”. Palmer Publications. Fifth
- California Department of Public Health, Bureau of Sanitary Engineering.
“Occurrence of Nitrate in Groundwater Supplies in Southern California”.
- California Department of Public Works, Division of Water Resources.
“Groundwater Basins in California”. Water Quality Investigations Report No.
3. November 1952.
- California Department of Public Works, Division of Water Resources.
“Abstract of Laws and recommendations Concerning Water Well Construction and
Sealing in the United States”. Water Quality Investigations Report No. 9.
- California Department of Transportation. “Standard Specifications”.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Water Quality and Water
Quality Problems, Ventura County”. Bulletin 75. February 1959.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Intrusion of Salt Water Into
Groundwater Basins of Southern Alameda County”. Bulletin 81. December 1960.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Investigation of Nitrates in
Groundwater, Grover City, San Luis Obispo County”. April 1962.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Water Well Standards: State
of California”. Bulletin No. 74. February 1968.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Cathodic Protection Well
Standards: State of California”. Bulletin No. 74-1. March 1973.
- California Department of Water Resources. “California’s Groundwater”.
Bulletin No. 118. September 1975.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Sea-Water Intrusion in
California”. Inventory of Coastal Groundwater Basins. Bulletin No. 63-5.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Guide to the Preparation of
the Water Well Drillers Report”. October 1977.
- California Department of Water Resources. “WATER WELLS and What You
Should Know About Them”. October 1977.
- California Department of Water Resources. “The 1976-1977 California
Drought – A Review”. May 1978.
- California Department of Water Resources. “Groundwater Basins in
California”. A Report to the Legislature in Response to Water Code Section
12924. Bulletin 118-80. January 1980.
- California Department of Water Resources. San Joaquin District.
“Investigation of Groundwater Contamination by Dibromochloropropane in the
Dinuba Area”. Memorandum Report. August 1980.
- California Legislature, Assembly Interim Committee on Water. “State and
Local Responsibilities for Water Resources”. Assembly Interim Committee
Reports 1965-67. Volume 26, No. 17. December 1966.
- California State Water Pollution Control Board. “Final report on Field
Investigation and Research on Wastewater Reclamation and Utilization in
Relation to Underground Water Pollution”. Publication No. 6. 1953.
- California State Water pollution Control Board. “Report on the
Investigation of Travel of Pollution”. Publication No. 11. 1954.
- California State Water Pollution Control Board. “Effect of Refuse Dumps
on Groundwater Quality”. Publication No. 24. 1961.
- California State Water Quality Control Board. “Water Quality Criteria”.
By McKee, J. and Wolf, H. W. Second Edition. Publication No. 3-A 1963.
- Campbell, Michael D. and Lehr, Jay H. “Water Well Technology”. McGraw-
Hill Book Company, Inc. 1973.
- Clark, N. L. and LuChang, S. “Enteric Viruses in Water”. American
Water Works Association Journal. Volume 51. October 1959.
- Crocker, S. “Piping Handbook”. Fourth Edition. McGraw-Hill Book
Company, Inc. 1945.
- Davis, Stanley N. and DeWiest, Roger J. M. “Hydrogeology”. John Wiley
and Sons, Inc. 1966.
- Driscoll, Fletcher G., Hanson, David T. and Page, Lyn. “Well-Efficiency
Project Yields Energy-Saving Data”. The Johnson Drillers Journal, March-
April, May-June, and September-October, 1980, and First Quarter, 1981. (Four
- Gordon, R. W. “Water Well Drilling with Cable Tools”. Bucyrus-Erie
- Ham, Herbert H. “Water Wells and Groundwater Contamination”. Bulletin
of the Association of Engineering Geologists. Volume VIII, No. 1. 1971.
- Helweg, Otto J., Scalmanini, Joseph C. and Scott, Verne H. “Energy and
Efficiency in Wells and Pumps”. Presented to the Twelfth Biennial Conference
on Groundwater sponsored by the University of California, Water Resources
Center and the California Department of Water Resources, at Sacramento,
California, September 20-21, 1979. California Water Resources Center,
University of California, Davis. Report No. 45. November 1979.
- Idaho Department of Water Resources. “Minimum Well Construction
Standards”. Rules and regulations. June 1975.
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials.
“Uniform Plumbing Code”. 1976 Edition. 1976.
- Johnson Division, Universal Oil Products Company, Inc. “Groundwater and
- Kurt, Carl E. and Warman, James C. “Engineering Performance of
Thermoplastic Water Well Casings”. WRRI Bulletin 44. Water Resources
Research Institute, Auburn University. July 1980.
- Lenain, A. F. “The Impact of Nitrates on Water Use”. Presented to the
California Section Meeting, American Water Works Association, Los Angeles,
California. October 27, 1966.
- Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service. “Resource Losses
from Surface Water, Groundwater, and Atmospheric Contamination: A Catalog”.
A report prepared for the Committee on Environment and Public Works, U. S.
Senate, 96th Congress, Serial No. 96-9. March 1980.
- Lieber, M., et al. “Cadmium and Hexavalent Chromium in Nassau County
Groundwater”. Journal of the American Water Works Association. Volume 56.
- Luhdorff, Jr., Eugene E. “Protecting Groundwater Quality – Some
Problems and Solutions”. Presented at the Ninth Biennial Conference on
Groundwater sponsored by the University of California, Water Resources Center
and the California Department of Water Resources at Goleta, California,
September 13-14, 1973. Water Resources Center, University of California,
Davis. Report No. 26. December 1973.
- Minnesota Board of Health. “The Water Well Construction Code and
Amendments to Regulations Relating to the Licensing of Water Well
Contractors”. Adopted April 11, 1974.
- Moore, Preston L. “Drilling Practices Manual”. The Petroleum
Publishing Company. 1974.
- Moss, Jr., R. “Evaluation of Materials for Water Well Casings and
Screens”. Paper presented before the National Association of Corrosion
Engineers, Western Region Meeting, San Francisco, California. October 1,
- National Sanitation Foundation. “Standard No. 14 for Plastic Piping
System Components and Related Materials”. As revised November 1978.
- National Water Well Association. “Water Well Drillers Beginning
Training Manual”. 1971.
- National Water Well Association and The Plastic Pipe Institute “Manual
on the Selection and Installation of Thermoplastic Water Well Casing”.
October 1, 1980.
- Oregon Drilling Association, Incorporated. “Manual of Water Well
Construction Practices for the State of Oregon”. Second Edition. 1968.
- Oregon Water Resources Department. “Rules and Regulations Prescribing
General Standards for the Construction and Maintenance of Water Wells in
Oregon”. Effective January 1, 1979. Published jointly with Oregon
Department of Human Resources, Health Division and Oregon Department of
Commerce, Building Codes Division.
- Rossum, John R. “Control of Sand in Water Systems”. Journal American
Water Works Association. Volume 46, No. 2. February 1954.
- Schrock, B. J. “Thermosetting Resin Pipe”. Presented at the American
Society of Civil Engineers Fall Convention, San Francisco, California.
October 17-21, 1977. Preprint No. 3088.
- Schwalen, H. C. “The Stovepipe or California Method of Well Drilling as
Practised in Arizona”. University of Arizona, College of Agriculture.
Bulletin No. 112. November 1, 1925.
- Speedstar Division, Koehring Company. “Well Drilling Manual”.
- Spiridonoff, S. V. “Design and Use of Radial Collector Wells”, Journal
American Water Works Association. Volume 56. June 1964.
- State of Nevada, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources,
Division of Water Resources. “Rules and Regulations for Drilling Wells and
Other Related Material”. Undated.
- Stead, F. M. “A Discussion of Factors Limiting the Bacterial Pollution
of Underground Waters by Sewage”. Report on the California State Assembly
Interim Fact-Finding Committee on Water Pollution. 1949.
- Todd, D. K. “Groundwater Hydrology”. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1959.
- Tolman, C. F. “Groundwater”. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1939.
- U. S. Bureau of Reclamation. “Groundwater Manual”. First Edition.
- U. S. Department of Commerce, Environmental Science Services
Administration. “CLIMATES OF THE STATES – Climate of California”.
Climatography of the United States No. 60-4. Revised June 1970.
- U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. “Minimum Property
Standards for One and Two Family Dwellings”. 1973 Edition with Revisions for
1974, 1975 and 1976.
- U. S. Departments of the Army and the Air Force. “Wells”. Technical
Manual TM5-297 and Air Force Manual 85-23. August 1, 1957.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Air and Water Programs.
“Groundwater Pollution from Subsurface Excavations”. 1973. EPA 430/9-73-
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and
Development. “Subsurface Biological Activity in Relation to Groundwater
Pollution”. September 1973. EPA 660/2-73-014.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Programs, Water
Supply Division. “Manual of Individual Water Supply Systems”. Revised 1974.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Supply. “Manual
of Water Well Construction Practices”. 1976. EPA 570/9-75-001.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Supply.
“National Interim Primary Drinking Water Regulations”. 1976. EPA 570/9-76-
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and
Development. “Impact of Abandoned Wells on Groundwater”. August 1977. EPA
- U. S. Geological Survey. “Study and Interpretation of the Chemical
Characteristics of Natural Water”. Water Supply Paper 1473. 1959.
- U. S. Geological Survey. “A Primer on Groundwater”. 1963.
- U. S. Geological Survey. “Reverse Circulation Drilling, an Improved
Tool for Production Wells and Exploratory Holes”. Open File Report. May
- U. S. Geological Survey. “A Primer on Water Quality”. 1965.
- U. S. Geological Survey. “Regional Trends in Water Well Drilling in the
United States”. Circular 533. 1966.
- U. S. Geological Survey. “Evaluation and Control of Corrosion and
Encrustation in Tube Wells of the Indus Plains, West Pakistan”. Water Supply
Paper 1608-L. 1969.
- U. S. Public Health Service. “Groundwater Contamination”. Proceedings
of the 1061 Symposium. Technical Report W61-5. 1961.
- U. S. Public Health Service. “Recommended State Legislation and
Regulations - Urban Water Supply and Sewerage Systems Act and Regulations -
Water Well Construction and Pump Installation Act and Regulations -
Individual Sewerage Disposal Systems Act and Regulations. July 1965.
- United States Senate, Eighty-ninth Congress, Committee on Interior and
Insular Affairs. “Mineral and Water Resources of California – Part II, Water
Section I; Water Resources Appraisal”. Report of the U. S. Department of the
Interior, Geological Survey, in collaboration with the California Department
of Water Resources. 1966.
- University of California. “Irrigation Wells and Well Drilling”.
Agricultural Experiment Station, College of Agriculture. Circular 404. May
- University of California. “Proceedings – Symposium on Agricultural
Waste Waters, Davis, California, April 6-8, 1966”. Water Resources Center
Report No. 10.
- University of California. “Water Wells and Pumps: Their Design,
Construction, Operation and Maintenance”. Division of Agricultural Sciences.
Bulletin 1889. May 1978.
- Vertical Turbine Pump Association. “Turbine Pump Facts”. 1962.
- Walker, T. R. “Groundwater Contamination in the Rocky Mountain Arsenal
Area, Denver, Colorado”. The Geological Society of America. Bulletin 72,
Volume 3. March 1961.
- Washington Department of Ecology. “Minimum Standards for Construction
and Maintenance of Water Wells”. Chapter 173-160 Washington Administrative
Code. January 10, 1979.
- Water Systems Council. “Water Systems Handbook”. Sixth Edition. 1977.
- Water Systems Council. “What you need to know about WELLS & WATER
- Water Well Journal. “Water Well Drilling Methods”. Reprint of seven
papers presented at the 1957 National Water Well Exposition.
- Weibel, S. R., et al. “Waterborne-Disease Outbreaks, 1946-60”. Journal
of the American Water Works Association. Volume 56. August 1964.