- Division of Environmental Services
- Office of Water Quality
- Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
- Aquatic Ecology Section
- Bay-Delta Monitoring and Analysis Section
- Environmental Real Time Monitoring and Support Section
- Special Studies Research Section
- Interagency Ecological Program
Contact UsKaren Gehrts, Chief
Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
3500 Industrial Blvd
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Phone: (916) 376-9694
The absence of delta smelt in the south Delta during recent years is likely a result of deteriorating habitat conditions, particularly decreasing turbidity caused by reduced sediment inputs and the "filtering" effect of expanding beds of aquatic weeds (Egeria) (IEP Newsletter, Winter 2009, p. 11).
Further technical studies are now in process to improve our understanding of temporal and spatial characterization of turbidity patterns throughout the Delta. For more information on these studies contact Francine Mejia.