The goal of the Tribal Advisory Committee (Tribal AC) is to create a forum where California Native American Tribes and organizations can help develop material for the California Water Plan (Water Plan) and ensure Tribal perspectives on land, water, and culture are included in the Water Plan.
The development of Update 2018 will also include input from a Policy Advisory Committee (Policy AC) made up of representatives from a broad range of public and private sector interests. Tribal AC members are welcome to attend these meetings.
California Water Plan Update 2018 and Groundwater Sustainability Program Information Meeting
DWR has scheduled a Tribal meeting on February 14, 2017 from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm at the Redding Rancheria Win-River Resort & Casino in Redding California. The meeting will review the focus of Update 2018, plan for the Tribal Water Summit 2018, and provide updates on the Sustainable Groundwater Management Program (SGMA). Please review the meeting materials for more information. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (02/06/2017)
California Water Plan Update 2018 - Tribal AC Orientation Webinar
DWR has scheduled a Tribal AC Orientation Webinar on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. Please register to participate. (10/10/2016)
The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) has convened the Tribal AC for California Water Plan Update 2018 (Update 2018). The charge of the Tribal AC, as a forum of California Native American Tribes and Tribal organizations, is to advise and inform DWR on the preparation of Update 2018.
- Please review the following documents to learn about the Tribal AC's role, membership, upcoming meetings, etc.
- Tribal AC Charge
- Tribal AC Membership*
- Update 2018 Work Plan/Engagement Schedule
- Update 2018 Outline
All meetings will be posted on our Calendar, and handouts and presentations will be posted on our Meeting Materials page. Please subscribe to eNews and to our Tribal listserv to receive meeting alerts and other information.
* If your Tribe or Tribal organization is interested in joining the Tribal AC, please contact Emily Alejandrino.
In November 2010, DWR convened the first Tribal AC. Invitations were sent to Tribes and Tribal organizations in the state.
The California Water Plan, building on the progress made during Update 2009, engaged tribal members and organizations through a number of venues throughout the Update 2013 process.
- Invitation Letter to Tribes
- Invitation Letter to Tribal Organizations
- Tribal Advisory Committee Accomplishments
- 2013 Tribal Water Summit
- Tribal Advisory Committee Charter
- Tribal Advisory Committee Member List
- Update 2013 Work Team Leads and Lead Coordinators
Final California Water Plan Update 2013
The final document can be viewed on the final Update 2013 page. We would like to thank all who participated and for providing valuable input.
Documents included in Volume 4 Reference Guide are listed below.
- Resource Strategy (Water and Culture)
- 18 Unratified Treaties 1851-1852
- Map of Unratified CA Treaties
- Key Laws and Regulations Matrix
- Native American Use of Fire
- Burning Down to the Village
- Cultural Burn
- Measuring Worm Saves Falcon
- Tribal IRWM Study: Final Report
- Tribal Ecological Knowledge
Due to State Executive Order B-06-011, Tribal AC meetings shall be held in Sacramento, until further notice. Tribes or organizations interested in hosting satellite locations for teleconference/webinar meetings, please contact Emily Alejandrino at (916) 651-9276.
News Alert Subscription
The Water Plan maintains a voluntary subscription listserve to distribute Water Plan news and meeting announcements to members and staff of California Native American Tribes, and to share information of possible interest from the Department of Water Resources and other agencies.
- To subscribe or unsubscribe to the Tribal listserve, click here.
- Note that the listserv is not a general bulletin board or discussion list.
For additional water-related information from the Department of Water Resources and other agencies, please subscribe to the weekly Water Plan eNews.
For questions or comments about Tribal communication, please contact:
California Water Plan Tribal Liaison
Department of Water Resources
PO Box 942836
Sacramento, CA 94236-0001