Water Use Efficiency
- Water Use Home
- The Water Conservation Act of 2009 (SB X7-7)
- Funding (Financial Assistance)
Agricultural Water Use Efficiency
- Agricultural Water Use
- Agricultural Water Management
- Agricultural Water Measurement Regulations
- Farm-Gate Water Delivery Reporting
Urban Water Use Efficiency
- Leak Detection
- Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance
- Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional
- Urban Water Management
- Independent Technical Panel (ITP)
- 20 x 2020 Water Conservation Plan
DWR Related Links
Division of Statewide Integrated Water Management
Water Use Efficiency
901 P Street Sacramento, CA 95814-3515
P.O. Box 942836
Sacramento, CA 94236-0001
AGGREGATED FARM-GATE WATER DELIVERY REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
Assembly Bill (AB) 1404 (Statutes of 2007, Chapter 675) amended Sections 5100, 5103, and 10004.6 of the Water Code. Section 531.10 of the Water Code states, "(a) An agricultural water suppliers shall submit an annual report to the department that summarizes aggregated farm-gate delivery data, on a monthly or bimonthly basis, using best professional practices. (b) Nothing in this article shall be construed to require the implementation of water measurement programs or practices that are not locally cost effective".
Senate Bill (SB) X7-7 of 2009 (Statutes of 2009, commencing with section 10608.48) requires an agricultural water supplier to "measure the volume of water delivered to customers with sufficient accuracy to comply with Section 531.10 …". Agricultural Water Measurement Regulation adopted by DWR in July 2012 (Title 23, California Code of Regulation, sections 597 to 597.4) provides the criteria for water measurement with sufficient accuracy. The text of the Regulation can be found on DWR website at www.water.ca.gov/wateruseefifiency/sb7/a2.
To comply with the aggregated farm-gate delivery reporting requirements of AB 1404, an agricultural water supplier—supplying 2,000 acre-feet or more of surface water annually for agricultural purposes or serving 2,000 or more acres of agricultural land—shall:
- Provide DWR with monthly or bimonthly aggregated farm-gate deliveries on an annual basis, along with information on their farm-gate measurement program or practices to document that they are using "Best Professional Practices"; or
- Provide DWR with information that documents that the implementation of a program or practices to measure farm-gate deliveries using Best Professional Practices is not locally cost effective.
Agricultural water suppliers may submit the required information listed below to DWR using the following form:
The form includes four sections:
- Section 1 is for reporting basic information about the water supplier.
- Section 2 is for reporting the water supplier representative’s contact information.
- Section 3 is for reporting of the monthly or bimonthly aggregated farm-gate deliveries.
- Section 4 is for providing DWR with comments and explanations and to identify the Best Professional Practices used.
To comply with the aggregated farm-gate delivery reporting requirements of SBX7-7, an agricultural water supplier subject to SB X7-7 requirements—supplier providing water to 25,000 or more irrigated acres, excluding recycled water (or providing water to 10,000 or more irrigated acres if funding is provided for the purpose of measurement)—shall provide DWR with a monthly or bimonthly aggregated farm-gate deliveries on an annual basis in accordance to the requirements of the Agricultural Water Measurement Regulation using the same form.
The completed Agricultural Aggregated-Farm-Gate Delivery Report must be submitted by mail or electronically by e-mail to
DWR by July 31 of each year beginning July 31, 2013. The completed form should be sent to the following address:
Department of Water Resources
Water Use and Efficiency Branch
Agricultural Water Use Efficiency Unit
P.O. Box 942836
Sacramento, CA 94236
Attention: Fethi BenJemaa
Or electronically to AgWUE@water.ca.gov
AB 1404 definitions:
"Agricultural Water Supplier" means a supplier either publicly of privately owned, supplying 2,000 acre-feet or more of surface water annually for agricultural purposes or serving 2,000 or more acres of agricultural land. An agricultural water supplier includes a supplier or contractor for water, regardless of the basis of right, which distributes or sells water for ultimate resale to customers” (Water Code Section 531.b).
"Aggregated farm-gate delivery data" means information reflecting the total volume of water an agricultural water supplier provides to its customers and is calculated by totaling its deliveries to individual customers (Water Code Section 531.a).
"Farm-gate" means the point at which water is delivered from the agricultural water supplier’s distribution system to each of its customers (Water Code Section 531.f).
"Best professional practices" means practices attaining and maintaining accuracy of measurement and reporting devices and methods (Water Code Section 531.d).
"Not locally cost-effective" means the present value of the local benefits of implementing a water demand management measure is less than the present value of the local costs of implementing that measure. (Water Code Section 10631.5 (a)(4)(B)).