- Division of Environmental Services
- Office of Water Quality & Estuarine Ecology
- Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
- Aquatic Ecology Section
- Environmental Monitoring Program
- Environmental Monitoring Program (Field)
- Special Studies Research Section
- Interagency Ecological Program
Contact UsKaren Gehrts, Chief
Environmental Water Quality and Estuarine Studies Branch
3500 Industrial Blvd
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Phone: (916) 376-9694
Welcome to the Environmental Monitoring Program of DWR. Our primary task is monitoring and data analyses to further the Department's understanding of estuarine ecology and to provide information useful for the management and conservation of the upper San Francisco Estuary.
We are an integral member of the Interagency Ecological Program (IEP), and comprise most of the IEP's Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP). The IEP is a group of State and Federal agencies, as well as university and private scientists, who conduct long-term monitoring and applied research in the San Francisco Estuary.
We also develop partnerships and collaborations through the Interagency Ecological Program, the CALFED Science Program and the Bay-Delta Science Consortium that foster interdisciplinary monitoring and analysis studies.
Photos by Karen Gehrts, Roberta Elkins, Betsy Wells, and Jodi Evans