A career with DWR holds a promising and exciting challenge for those who want to participate in shaping California's future through water resources. We offer ample opportunities for advancement and training, along with State government service benefits. Work and learn with the experts, expand your horizon, and be your best – join our respected team and take charge of your career.
Search Jobs & Exams
Jobs and exams are updated regularly on CalCareers. There you'll also find important information about State employment, including steps in the hiring process, minimum qualifications, pay scales, benefits, instructions on how to create a CalCareer account, and more.
Post & Bid Process
The post and bid process provides opportunities for current Department of Water Resources employees to transfer between positions in Bargaining Unit 11 (BU11). Post and bid opportunities are announced on the Department's internal website as they become available. Current DWR employees who wish to apply for such an opportunity must complete and submit the Post and Bid Application (PDF) by the final filing date listed in the announcement.
Career TypesWe offer many exciting career types and opportunities. These are just a few examples of the many fields within our department.
Trade and labor positions perform work in and around hydroelectric pumping and generating plants, aqueducts, dams, reservoirs, and flood control facilities.
These positions require engineering knowledge and experience in civil, computer, electrical, environmental, safety, or mechanical fields.
We hire high school and college students to assist in the performance of professional, technical, scientific, and administrative work. View Student Employment for more information.
CalHR Employment Resources
- 3 Steps to a State Job
- CalCareers Frequently Asked Questions
- CalCareers Student Employment
- California Department of Human Resources (CalHR)
- California State Civil Service Pay Scales - Online Manual (54th Edition)
- Examination/Employment Application (STD 678)
- New to State Service
- Salary & Benefits
- State Retirees
- Tutorials for Job Seekers
State Personnel Resources
- California Department of Finance (DOF)
- California Department of Industrial Relations (DIR)
- California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC)
- California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS)
- California State Controller’s Office (SCO)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- State Personnel Board (SPB)