Basin prioritization is the process of ranking of groundwater basin importance statewide, focusing on basins producing more than 90% of California's annual groundwater.
Legislation enacted in California's required DWR to prioritize California groundwater basins in order to help identify, evaluate, and determine the need for additional groundwater level monitoring. The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) further required DWRto develop the initial groundwater basin priority by January 31, 2015. Using the California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring’s (CASGEM) 2014 Final Basin Prioritization results, the initial prioritization under SGMA designated 127 medium and high priority groundwater basins. These 127 basins account for approximately 96 percent of groundwater use in California and 88 percent of the state’s population.
The California Water Commission requires a statewide prioritization, to the extent that data are available, of California's groundwater basins using the following eight criteria (Water Code §10933):
- Rate of population growth
- Number of public supply wells
- Total number of wells
- Total irrigated acreage
- Degree to which persons overlying the basin rely on groundwater as their primary source of water
- Documented impacts on the groundwater within the basin, including overdraft, subsidence, saline intrusion, and other water quality degradation
- Any other information determined to be relevant by the department, including adverse impacts on local habitat and local streamflows
A priority designation of high, medium, low, or very-Low is assigned to each groundwater basin. For details on how changes in priority affect local agency compliance with SGMA, refer to establishment of Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs).
In January 2014, we conducted five public comments. Final 2014 Basin Prioritization results are compiled into a . You can also visit our , a web-based application that includes a layer depicting Basin Prioritization information.to introduce draft 2014 Basin Prioritization results and solicit
Senior Engineering Geologist
901 P Street
P.O. Box 942836
Sacramento, CA 94236